A living laboratory comprises two main ideas:
- Involving users in the creation and development of new products and services.
- Experimenting in real world settings as opposed to actual laboratories or simulations.
There are a range of Living Laboratory methodologies, but in general this typically comprises the following key elements:
- Co-Creation: co-design by users and producers.
- Exploration: discovering emerging usages, behaviours and market opportunities.
- Experimentation: implementing live scenarios within communities of users.
- Evaluation: assessment of concepts, products and services according to socio-ergonomic, socio-cognitive and socio-economic criteria.