15th August 2022
Economist/ Economic Development Consultant
Deadline: 15th September
Location: Dundee or Newcastle
We are looking for an ambitious consultant to work on an exciting portfolio of economic development projects.
You will work on projects covering diverse sectors and geographies. This could include business cases for innovation hubs, evaluating investment programmes, sector mapping, economic development strategies, and Just Transition Plans.
You should apply if you are:
- excited to be involved in cutting-edge projects that deliver meaningful social, economic, and environmental outcomes
- motivated to take a leading role in a growing business
- enjoy sharing your knowledge andworking with passionate people.
This permanent role will be based in one of our offices (Newcastle or Dundee) in line with your preferences.
We are seeking a consultant to complement our existing team and develop our business further with new clients.
You will have strong analytical capabilities, experience of designing research methodologies, and expertise in generating insightful reports.
As part of this role, you will:
- undertake analysis to inform policy and strategy at national, sub-regional, and local levels
- establish the economic and financial business case for projects and programmes
- carry out social and economic impact assessments
- develop bespoke models to assess demands, costs, markets, and scenarios
- develop new business opportunities.
Skills and experience
We are keen to meet candidates from a range of backgrounds. You might be:
- an economist or economics consultant
- an economic development consultant
- an analyst or statistician
- working in the public sector in a relevant policy or strategy role
- working in engineering, infrastructure planning, or finance with relevant research and modelling expertise.
The ideal candidate would have:
- a university degree in a relevant subject
- strong analytical and modelling skills
- expertise in designing and applying research methodologies
- expertise in analysing problems, finding data and sourcing information to quickly develop an understanding of new areas
- working knowledge of relevant appraisal methodologies and the underlying analysis required
- excellent report writing skills, with an ability to clearly summarise complex ideas and offer valuable insights
- experience of bid writing and business development
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver engaging presentations.
About Urban Foresight
Urban Foresight is the UK’s leading place-based innovation consultancy. We are a mission driven business that works with ambitious clients around the world on projects to improve lives, protect the environment and deliver new economic opportunities.
Our success is based on a multi-disciplinary team with shared values and diverse expertise across a range of sectors.
We think deeply about how to turn good ideas into great projects that can have a lasting and transformational impact.
The ideal candidate will be excited about what we do and keen to contribute to our mission to make good things happen.
How to apply
Applications should be made in the form of a full CV and covering letter sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th September 2022.
Please indicate in your covering letter your salary expectations and notice period.
Urban Foresight strives to be an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons. As part of this commitment, consideration will be given to requests for part-time working in this role, subject to this satisfying the required business need.