7th August 2023
Head of International Development
Location: Dundee or Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Deadline: Friday 15th September 2023
We are seeking an experienced and ambitious consultant to help us build a new international development team.
This is a unique opportunity for someone with the entrepreneurial drive to lead an important area in our growing business.
Urban Foresight is pioneering a different approach. Our aim is to provide a better alternative to traditional consultancies. This is built on three core principles:
- Impact – we’re a mission-driven business that strives to improve lives, protect the environment, and create new economic opportunities
- Innovation – there’s an art to making good things happen. We excel at turning good ideas into great projects
- Place – we work hard to understand places and make practical recommendations that help our clients succeed.
This permanent role will be based in one of our offices (Newcastle or Dundee). Other locations may be considered for outstanding candidates.
You should apply if you are:
- excited to be involved in cutting-edge projects that make a genuine difference in the world
- motivated to take a leading role in a growing business
- enjoy sharing your knowledge and working with passionate people.
You will lead and develop our international development consulting group and portfolio.
This will build on Urban Foresight’s track record of providing policy and investment advice to international institutions, governments, and municipalities. Notable clients include: World Bank, Asian Development Bank, Global Green Growth Initiative, International Energy Agency, Danish Refugee Council, and UNICEF.
As part of this role, you will:
- win and deliver a portfolio of international development projects
- conduct thorough assessments, design and implement development programmes, and evaluate their effectiveness
- develop and maintain strong relationships with clients, donors, and local partners
- develop and implement a strategy to grow our market position in international development
- take responsibility for managing the financial performance, quality of work, and contractual liabilities for our international development group
- be responsible for the appraisal, performance, development, morale, and motivation of staff
- be a valuable member of Urban Foresight’s senior leadership team.
Skills and experience
You will possess a deep understanding of global development issues, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, and a proven track record of winning and delivering successful projects in diverse cultural and socio-economic contexts.
The ideal candidate would have:
- 10+ years of relevant sector experience
- extensive experience as a project director and senior project manager
- experience of leading consultancy teams to win and deliver work
- experience of advising senior officials in development banks, donors, governments, corporates, and NGOs
- experience of managing resources, budgets, and complex contracts
- a track record of successful business development and generating sustainable revenue streams
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
About Urban Foresight
Urban Foresight is the UK’s leading place-based innovation consultancy. We are a mission driven business that works with ambitious clients around the world on projects to improve lives, protect the environment, and create new economic opportunities.
Our success is based on a multi-disciplinary team with shared values and diverse expertise across a range of sectors.
We think deeply about how to turn good ideas into great projects that can have a lasting and transformational impact.
The ideal candidate will be excited about what we do and keen to contribute to our mission to make good things happen.
How to apply
Applications should be made in the form of a full CV and covering letter sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th September 2023.
Please indicate in your covering letter your salary expectations and notice period.
Urban Foresight strives to be an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons.